This instruction sheet was created to guide applicants through the simple steps of the application process. You may also download a copy HERE.
1. Download the applicant checklist HERE. Review each requirement for certification and determine if you are eligible for certification.
2. Gather all the required professional documentation that needs to be uploaded to complete the application process including:
a. proof of current professional license/registration or credentialing
b. a photo of you
3. Scan each document separately and save in pdf, jpeg or word file format.
4. Please see instructions for naming and saving files in each section.
5. Check your computer’s system requirements. The application portal is best viewed in the latest versions of Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, and Firefox. It is possible that older browser versions could experience performance issues, but generally you can complete the application from any computer with access to an internet browser.
6. Set aside time to complete your certification application. The estimated time of completion is less than one hour, if required documents have been prepared prior to starting the online application.
7. It is not necessary to complete the application in one sitting, and you may return as many times as needed to complete the application in its entirety.
8. To begin the application process click HERE. Complete the first page of your application by entering your biographical information and submitting your application fee. Once submitted, you will receive an email from the NTNCB with a receipt of your application fee payment and a link to access your personal applicant portal with instructions on how to create a secure username and password. Keep this information in a safe and secure place for future reference.
9. Use the secure username and password you created each time you log into the applicant portal. Log in HERE.
10. Once you have submitted your application to the NTNCB, you will receive an email indicating that your application is under review. The review period can be up to 1 month. During this time, the NTNCB will contact you if application information is incomplete. Incomplete applications will require extra time for processing and may delay eligibility determination for the examination.
11. After your application is reviewed, the NTNCB will notify you via email of your eligibility status. If you have satisfied all of the requirements for certification, you will be provided with information including a link to pay your examination fee and an applicant identification number. Please keep your applicant ID number secure with your username and password for future reference. This number will also be your future CNT certification number.
12. Once the examination fee has been paid, you will receive an email from the third-party testing center (AMP/PSI) regarding instructions to schedule your examination administration date, time, and location. You may schedule the administration of the certification examination at a testing site that is convenient to you.
13. Once you have met all the requirements for certification, which includes passing the certification exam, you will have access to your CNT certificate (which can be downloaded) and your examination score report in the applicant portal.
14. The NTNCB upholds an honor system for all applicants, but random application audits occur continuously to verify that the information provided is accurate and truthful.
15. Here is a list of information you will need in order to complete the application:
Requirement: The applicant must be an occupational therapist, physical therapist or speech-language pathologist who has held a professional credential in one of these disciplines for a minimum of three years. This credential must be current.
If you practice in a country that does not issue professional licensure or registration, you must provide information about what is required to practice in that location and evidence of being in compliance with that requirement.
Documentation of NICU Clinical Experience
Requirement: A minimum of 3500 hours of direct clinical practice hours as an OT, PT or SLP in the NICU setting must be accrued prior to applying for certification.
If you have accrued your direct practice in the NICU in more than one location, you will need this information for the most recent experiences which total 3500 hours.
Documentation of Professional Education
Requirement: 40 hours of professional education that is related to NICU practice; must be completed within the three years prior to applying for certification.
If you are selected for audit by the NTNCB, you will be required to provide certificates or receipts of attendance for the 40 hours of professional education you specify in the application.
Requirement: Acknowledgment of a minimum of 40 hours of mentoring by an experienced NICU provider who has assisted the applicant in developing specific skills and knowledge for practice in neonatal therapy.
If you have any questions or experience technical difficulties during your application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
©2015-2018 All Rights Reserved, Neonatal Therapy National Certification Board